I just got a press kit from FarmFolk/CityFolk, a Vancouver-based Canadian organization that puts on great events that brings city consumers together with farmers, about a new event in West Kelowna on April 16. The event is called Meet Your Maker. It's a networking event tailored to small businesses, like independent restaurants, to encourage them to use locally produced foods on their menus.
I've been to a number of their wildly successful Feast of Fields events. Now FarmFolk/CityFolk is having a networking event for chefs and farmers to meet and hopefully generate some economic activity on the local foods and independent restaurant level. I'm pretty excited that one of the guest speakers is Chef Michael Lyon, from Kelowna's Hotel Eldorado’s Lakeside Restaurant. (Cross promotion: The Hotel Eldorado is the host hotel of the 2012 Okanagan Food & Wine Writers Workshop that I am currently in the midst of organizing. And I chose "The El" because I LOVE it. It's the perfect indie boutique hotel and restaurant in the Okanagan's Wine Country.)
Here's a quote from the Meet Your Maker press release itself:
Meet Your Maker is modeled after Portland’s annual Farmer-Chef Connection event that started in 2000. Since then, their network has grown to over 250 producers and 150 buyers who are collectively doing more than $19 million in annual business. Meet Your Maker has expanded the idea to include farmers, fishers, ranchers, food processors, distributors, retailers, food delivery, restaurants and caterers. You are all part of our food system. Total sales & business deals generated at our Vancouver MEET YOUR MAKER event was $268,000 … and, we’re growing!
- Keynote speakers Donna Dennison, Little Creek Gardens and Chef Michael Lyon, Hotel Eldorado’s Lakeside Restaurant
- Green Table Network – Greening the restaurant industry, interactive workshop
- Moderated Panel: From Farm to Fork: Building a sustainable supply chain
- 2 Structured networking sessions (Speed-dating style) – Session 1: PRODUCERS stand at your table and greet Buyers. Session 2: BUYERS stand at your table and greet Producers. Producers (farmers, ranchers, food processors, fishers, etc.) we suggest you bring products (if you have any during this time of year), photos of your farm, etc. to put on your table when you arrive in the morning.
- Delicious local potluck lunch – suggest what you can contribute when you register!
Monday April 16, 2012
9am – 3:30pm
Westbank Lions Hall Community Centre
2- 2466 Main St, Westbank (West Kelowna)
Registration is $50 for all attendees. Advance purchase only.
Registration deadline April 9.